Monday, February 6, 2012

A Proper Stranding

Whoa, did you feel that? That sudden shift in the fabric of time and space? We just lept forward from the past to the present. I have so many more things to tell from the past few months and my writing is behind at least 5 good posts (10 total, but only 5 of them any good). But tonight's episode is better served fresh, so the other stories will have to wait.

A live action shot of tonight's adventure. The chain was a little short, so
I was about one foot behind Shelly's bumper on the way back.



I just put the car back together after a few weeks of projects during some bad weather. I needed to drive up to the auto parts store, so with the car successfully back together and running I decided to take a little test drive up to the store with my oldest son.  In retrospect, I did think it odd that as I turned the ignition on I couldn't hear the tell tale clicking of the fuel pump, but since the car started I thought it some curiosity that I'd look into later.

We pulled out all bundled up for the cold weather and had a glorious 3 block drive. As we pulled up to a stop sign the car lost power. The lights stayed on and the starter motor worked, so it wasn't the battery. All indications were consistent with lack of fuel pressure. In fact, I probably drove just as far as the fuel in the carburetor float bowls allowed.

I certainly wasn't going to call a tow truck so close to home, but it was too far to push. We called for help and Shelly came to pick us up.  A car buddy in the neighborhood (restoring a Triumph TR3) had some chain so I borrowed that and headed back.  I was able to set up a makeshift towing arrangement (though the holes on the bottom of the main frame crossmember, up to the tow hitch on the SUV, with the chain connected to itself with a bolt and some washers. We made an odd little parade of shame back to the house, with the MG bumper about a foot from the SUV, and moving about walking pace, slightly faster at points.  The chain periodically would connect across the wires at the horn and spontaneously honk, which made the whole event a little festive. My foot hovered over the brake the whole way, but we avoided catastrophe. Not sure that would have been covered by insurance.

After unhitching it took four of us to push it up the driveway into the garage. I'll leave it be until I can work to trace the problem with a clear head. The lower valance under the bumper on the MG looks to have had a little damage, but nothing horrendous from what I could see quickly before I came in to get warm. Guess I will miss another unseasonably warm day tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Hasn't this happened to you before (losing fuel I mean)? Don't give up hope - you'll get it sorted!

    JIM in NH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, sort of (though it hasn't been written about on the blog yet). The last time the pump ran continuously but didn't deliver fuel. This time it didn't run at all, so definitely different problems even though the end result was the same. Since the car eventually recovered on its own before resorting to a tow the last time, I figure that wasn't really a full "stranding"!

      Delete
  2. You forgot to mention that I had just sat down with a glass of wine and The Bachelor when you called with your rescue request.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just glad I had not become a Bachelor... Thank you, O Mostly-Patient-Wife. You forgot to mention that I had Austin call so I didn't have to hear your reaction...

      Delete
  3. Shelly, If I were you, I would think of a really good gift for your next birthday. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she's really good she might get a new fuel pump!

      Delete
  4. She might really like that if it cuts down on the emergency tows

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still imagining the festive honking. Honk! Honk!

    ReplyDelete