Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Wrestling an Octopus Armed with Hammers - Installing the Top

With my teeth rattling issues sorted out, I was able to really start commuting in the MG.  As the cooler weather started to set in, I needed to bundle up a little but it wasn't so bad, especially putting the heat on.  This is the right way to drive to work - a lot of fun.  That is, until the "cool" weather gave way to some no kidding cold days. I realized it was time to get the top figured out - it was time to convert this convertible.

Getting ready to take the first spin with the top up.

The frame for the top screws in to the sides of the car from the inside. The previous owner had warned that he didn't have the screws to mount the top, so I ordered a new set of these. There are three screws on each side that fit into nuts embedded in the shell of the car. Well, they're supposed to.  On my car, I found that on one side the lowest screw has a bolt broken off in the embedded nut (they call them capture nuts). Unfortunately it was put in backwards so I can't get at it without disassembling the skin of the car. On the other side the hole is missing. Huh? The body trim panels are held on with good old fashioned screws. Having a few times taken body interior panels out of several of my many Japanese imports over the years, I can tell you the MG had it right. Not all progress is progress.  Removing this panel revealed that the sheet metal skin for that nut has been ripped through at that point, probably from someone in the past letting the top fall during removal or installation while only that screw was in. The fact that the interior trim panel doesn't even have the matching hole means that this has been the case at least since the car was last restored 15 years ago. I bought some repair panels ($7) but that requires cutting into the car and welding. Since this is hidden, I may just try my own hand at this repair but that will have to wait. I think two screws on either side will probably work OK for the short term at least.

The bracket holding the top on the car. Notice the missing screw hole on the bottom.
The next problem is that the threads embedded (capture) nuts were messed up - not quite stripped, and had damaged my new screws in my several first attempts, making it nearly impossible to screw in and likely to ruin the threads if I kept trying. I've always wanted to have an excuse to buy a tap (for cutting the internal threads of the nut) and die (for the external threads of the screw) set, but I learn that using a standard cutting tap and die will ruin the threads.  I scour local stores and the internet and find that restoring tap and die sets are not that easy to come by. I finally find a good option ($50 I think) at Sears. It took all of about 15 minutes to restore the threads, and that problem was solved.

Now I discovered another problem. The top screw on one side doesn't seem to be able to line up with the nut it needs to go in to. The top screw has to pass through two holes that are supposed to be lined up, but on this side are not. Looking more closely I discover that there was a "home brewed" repair to this side that failed to align the repair piece properly during the weld.  I may try to fix it later, but for now I decided to fire up the drill and slowly eat away at the metal to elongate the hole enough to make it mostly line up.
The dodgy repair with the hole misaligned (before my drill bit abuse)
The way it was supposed to be
OK. Screws obtained, threads restored, holes aligned. If the top is not rotated into the right position before attaching the brackets, you can't swing it up into the right position without undoing the brackets.  I learn this of course from doing it wrong first. The right position involves precariously holding the top with one hand carefully aligning the bracket with the receiving nuts while you hold the screw with one hand, and screw it in with your third hand. Oh, and the top likes to unfold and ding the paint or your head. It's a little like wrestling an octopus armed with hammers. So I quickly go in to recruit the teenager to help who is excited for the first 30 seconds but then gets bored and complains. A promise of the first drive with the top up seems to help.

The first drive with the top up.
Once screwed in, the top sets up pretty nicely, screws to the windshield frame up front, slides into brackets in the back, and snaps into position along the edges (except for one snap I find missing). The top is dusty and filthy. Still, we jump in and drive around the neighborhood a little and it's not so bad.  With the heater on the car gets nice and toasty warm pretty quickly. When we get back, my 9-year old helps me wash the top carefully with a sponge and some soapy water and it actually looks pretty good. I can see this working.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, are you aware that the title of your blog is a hideous neon/light green color?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man. I thought it was tan. Is this new color improved at all. You know one time I had this crazy mix up with my roommate in college who couldn't tell what color the rug in our room was. Some people are just color blind I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're killing me :) It's not neon anymore, but more of a sick mint green. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete